Monday, November 30, 2015

ANNUM vs. EPOCH

After several years of skiing with both the Madshus Epoch/Karhu XCD 10th Mtn, and the Madshus Annum/Karhu XCD Guide- I have come to a few conclusions.

In my experience the choice between these two skis fundamentally depends on skier weight.

These are both xcountry-telemark hybrid skis with a soft flex- designed for Nordic touring on relatively deep, soft snow.

In my opinion and experience, the Annum is basically a fatter version of the same basic design as the Epoch.

The Annum, being wider, offers more flotation in deep powder than the Epoch.  The Epoch being narrower, theoretically offers better xcountry glide. But- neither of the skis perform well on dense/hard snow- whether in xcountry or downhill application- they are too soft.

At my weight (185lbs) I get much better flotation out of the Annum.  So despite the extra width- I personally get better performance with the Annum than the Epoch- whether in a xcountry or downhill application.

If you weigh less than me- the Epoch should be a better choice....

I wish they made the Epoch longer than 195cm- then you would get as much flotation as the Annum, but with better glide.

No comments:

Post a Comment